Tenet Healthcare RN Ortho Spine Unit Per Diem Nights in Palm Springs, California
The Clinical Nurse assumes principal responsibility for the total nursing care, assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation of each assigned patient. The staff nurse initiates teaching and educates the patient and family/or significant other to attain optimal health. Access to all Patient Health Information for treatment purposes only.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
• Obtains information and interpret information in terms of the patient’s needs.
• Demonstrates knowledge of growth and development.
• Understands the range of treatment needed as appropriate to the ages of the patients served.
• Maintains annual orthopedic specific competencies
• Initiates interdisciplinary communications and incorporates recommendations.
• Acts as a consultant in complex patient care.
• Documentation demonstrates advanced practice. Requires at least 3 cases per year reviewed for demonstration of this measure. (see attached chart review format)
• Facilitates effective problem solving. Identifies at least 3 issues that affect patient care and submits resolution of issues. (see attached format) may be used in place of measure 3 when clinical responsibilities do not involve medical record documentation
• Works with other disciplines for complex discharge planning and early facilitation of discharge process.
• Utilizes current theories and knowledge for accurate assessments and evaluations
• Completes acuity evaluation on all assigned patients according to unit protocol.
• Consistently functions proficiently on the nursing unit. Including but not limited to: Manages an average caseload specific to unit Adapts to altered work patterns, sets priorities, and modifies assignments to meet patient needs utilizing available resources and staff ability and availability.
• Administers medications prescribed by physicians according to policy, including IV’s, blood and blood products. Knows actions, indications, contraindications, precautions, adverse reactions, dosage and route of
• administration on all drugs before administering to patient.
• Verifies against MAR for accuracy on an ongoing basis. 3 = 0 med. errors, 2 = 1-2 med. errors 1 = 3 or more med. errors (severity of incident will be considered).
• Functions as a charge nurse as assigned.
• Communicates changes in clinical practice to peers.
• Educates staff in current or changing clinical practice. Evidenced by at least 2 different classes at least 30 min. in length attended by 5 or more people with class outline, goals and objectives and sign sheet included.(see examples)
• Active participation on an interdisciplinary or central committee or task force with at least 75% participation.
• Revises the orientation program or participates in same.
• Mentors other co-workers, functions as a resource, acts as preceptor, and other duties as assigned.
• Involvement in developing procedural case management standards and or clinical practice guidelines and ensures departmental maintenance of standards.
• Maintains competence in Nursing practice through inservices and participation in ongoing continuing education per year. 3 = > 25 CEU or 10 CEU 3 Units College Credit, 2 = 10 - 24 CEU , 1 = < 10 CEU
• Consistently participates in the Quality Improvement Program by initiating completion of data collection tools offering suggestions to create action plans to improve quality of patient care.
• Demonstrates knowledge of legal, ethical, and safety issues and delivers care that is safe within the scope of practice.
• Reports, documents, and takes appropriate action (by the end of shift) for incidents and or quality care issues that may affect the patient’s or staff well being.
• Consistently assesses patients for risk of injury and takes appropriate action to reduce risk and promote safety.
• Uses restraints according to policy and consistently explores other options less restrictive, with accurate documentation.
• Serves as advocate for patient/family by providing information and assists in utilization of available resources and or alternatives for making health care decisions(i.e. advanced directives, ethics consult etc.)
• Establishes or assesses proper identification prior to delivery of care.
• Requests clarification of Physician orders as necessary
Current CA Registered Nurse License
Current American Heart Association BLS certification (maintain current at all times)
Effective verbal and written skills to communicate with people on all levels and able to maintain positive working relationships with parents, families, and co-workers
Possess active listening skills
Compassionate and non judgmental care giver and advocate
Able to independently manage multiple priorities
Must comply with Respiratory Fit Testing Protection Policy
Excellent customer service skills
Organization: Desert Regional Medical Center
Title: RN Ortho Spine Unit Per Diem Nights
Location: CA-Palm Springs
Requisition ID: 1705041042