Tenet Healthcare RN Full Time Nights Telemetry Overflow in Palm Springs, California
The Clinical Nurse assumes principal responsibility for the total nursing care, assessment, planning, implementation, evaluation of each assigned patient. The staff nurse initiates teaching and educates the patient and family/or significant other to attain optimal health. Access to all Patient Health Information for treatment purposes only.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
• Obtains information and interpret information in terms of the patient’s needs.
• Demonstrates knowledge of growth and development.
• Understands the range of treatment needed as appropriate to the ages of the patients served.
• Maintains Annual Competencies
• Performs and documents accurate comprehensive and daily assessments per policy and standards for specific unit.
• Demonstrates knowledge associated with specific unit disease processes.
• Demonstrates knowledge of commonly used drugs for specific unit.
• Initiates interdisciplinary communications and incorporates recommendations.
• Consistently demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the ages of the patients served on the assigned unit.
• Acts as a liaison between patient, physicians, family/significant other and other health disciplines.
• Develops, implements and updates an individualized teaching and discharge plan.
• Initiates and documents progressive patient and family/significant teaching.
• Facilitates the discharge process ensuring all goals are addressed prior to discharge.
• Utilizes current theories and knowledge for accurate assessments and evaluations
• Completes acuity evaluation on all assigned patients according to unit protocol.
• Consistently performs proficiently on nursing unit. Including but not limited to: Manages an average caseload specific to unit. Adapts to altered work patterns, sets priorities, and modifies assignments to meet patient needs utilizing available resources and staff ability and availability.
• Administers medications prescribed by physicians according to policy, including IV’s, blood and blood products. Knows actions, indications, contraindications, precautions, adverse reactions, dosage and route of administration on all drugs before administering to patient.
• Verifies against MAR for accuracy on an ongoing basis.
• Consistently recognizes, evaluates and intervenes appropriately in life-threatening situations.
• Consistently checks for new patient orders throughout the shift and implements them in an appropriate timeframe. Completes an end of shift review of physician orders.
• Consistently recognizes variances of diagnostic tests, vital signs and assessments. Notifies the physician in time appropriate to the variance.
• Functions as a charge nurse as assigned.
• Supports changes in clinical practice as evidenced by the plan of care for the patient and subsequent documentation.
• Functions as a resource to co-workers. Acts as preceptor, and other duties as assigned.
• Ensures compliance with Departmental policies and procedures. Assume responsibility for knowledge and implementation of policy, procedure, practice, CPG, changes.
• Maintains competence in nursing practice through in services and participation in ongoing continuing education per year. 3 = > 25 CEU or 10 CEU 3 Units College Credit, 2 = 10 - 24 CEU , 1 = < 10 CEU
• Participates in the Quality Improvement Program.
• Monitors resource utilization and charge completion
• utilization is inconsistent and or incomplete
• Follows appropriate chain of command for problem resolution approaching problem solving with a positive attitude and suggestions.
• Consistently demonstrates accountability for supervision and communication when assigned with students, unlicensed assistive personnel, and float personnel.
• Reports, documents, and takes appropriate action (by the end of shift) for incidents and or quality care issues that may affect the patient’s or staff well-being.
• Consistently assesses patients for risk of injury and takes appropriate action to reduce risk and promote safety.
• Uses restraints according to policy and consistently explores other options less restrictive. Accurate documentation demonstrated in medical record.
• Serves as advocate for patient/family by providing information and assists in utilization of available resources and or alternatives for making health care decisions (i.e. advanced directives, ethics consult etc.)
• Handles and disposes hazardous waste safely and appropriately
• Consistently handles oxygen safely
• Consistently practices hand washing and use of protective wear
• Establishes or assesses proper identification prior to delivery of care.
• Requests clarification of Physician orders as necessary
Current CA Registered Nurse License
Associate Degree in Nursing ADN
Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing BSN Preferred
Current American Heart Association BLS and ACLS certification (maintain current at all times)
Effective verbal and written skills to communicate with people on all levels and able to maintain positive working relationships with parents, families, and co-workers
Possess active listening skills
Compassionate and non judgmental care giver and advocate
Able to independently manage multiple priorities
Must comply with Respiratory Fit Testing Protection Policy
Must successfully complete EKG test within the first 30 days of hire
Organization: Desert Regional Medical Center
Title: RN Full Time Nights Telemetry Overflow
Location: CA-Palm Springs
Requisition ID: 1805012013