The Salvation Army Sports & Recreation Coach in Cathedral City, California
Sports & Recreation Coach
40 hours per week, FT, full benefits, salary DOE.
FUNCTION OF THE POSITION: To create and maintain a Salvation Army athletics league while researching and securing outside organization sports league facility rentals. These functions would include, but not be limited to, outreach and creating teams, coaching,
leading, monitoring and supervising all gym activities. This includes coordinating league schedules, processing registrations and agreements, communicating with customers and cultivating relationships with local schools and other community organizations to
ensure gym is in full operation. A big emphasis is to recruit and oversee volunteers and coaches. This position would also be responsible for acting as Manager on Duty in the gymnasium, fulfilling closing shifts and overseeing sports, recreation and athletics
based programs and functions as assigned. The Sports and Recreation Coordinator additionally will be responsible for cleanliness of facility, performing light maintenance and safety checks on equipment, reporting damage and eliminating hazards in a timely
manner to ensure complete safety of all gym participants.
• To know, explain and exemplify the mission, purpose, and values of the Cathedral City Corps and The Salvation Army
• Secure outside organization rentals, ensuring organizations and or individuals complete required paperwork, including payment and insurance contracts according to TSA policy
• Develop and implement an evangelism-based sports & recreation program with the primary objective being to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ
• Responsible for daily management of and planning for sports & recreation programs, including but not limited to, budget, child safety, and human resources
• Create church (Salvation Army) leagues, division, and practice schedules
• Coach teams; recruit, train, supervise, and evaluate volunteers and coaches. Follow through with handling of fee with Corps office, and create and maintain database for all sports & recreation-based programs
• Work cooperatively with Corps Officers, all program directors, supervisors, and staff to optimize the integration and cross-marketing of Sports & Recreation programs throughout the Salvation Army Cathedral City Corps
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE:
• Minimum high school graduate or equivalent. College degree preferred
• At least two years of experience in a sports and recreation position developing, planning, managing, and supervising sports teams, and/or organized recreational programs
• At least two years of experience developing and administering budgets (helpful)
• Must be able to read, write, and communicate in English, bilingual English/Spanish is preferred.
• Knowledge of Salvation Army programs (helpful)
• Knowledge and experience with various sports equipment, sports and recreational games and activities
• Must have at least two years of experience working with children preferably in a sports, recreation, or camp-based environment
• Maintain First Aid/CPR/AED certification
• Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook required
• Working knowledge of integrated database applications and ability to use new software programs with basic training
• Must maintain a valid California Class C Driver’s License
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41